Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Rescue practice turns real!


One of my classes this semester is a High Angle Rescue class which is pretty much the bomb! So for the last few weekends I have spent 12 hours a day dangling off a cliff learning different rescue techniques. The class has by far been one of my favorites but 12 hours a day three days in a row is brutal mentally and physically! I don't think I have ever been so sore, bruised and bleeding in my life.

So on this past Sunday while our class was working on some practice scenarios our instructor saw a climber fall 80 feet from the cliff below us! With in seconds we switched from practice mode to real life application! I feel bad the guy fell and was hurt but this was by far the coolest thing ever! This is the kind of thing I want to do so I was on cloud 9 and full of adrenalin and excitement. We were able to help the climber until EMS arrived, we then helped backboard and carry him across the river to the ambulance and in doing so made it in the news! Here is the link! Deseret News: Climber burns hands in 80 foot fall. and yes that is me in the picture! It was amazing that he fell 80 feet and got away with just severe rope burns on his hands!

Here are some more pictures from the duration on our class:













Landon was so great while I spent these long hours in my class he managed to have the house clean and a wonderful dinner waiting for me with a back rub every night when I got home! It reminded me how incredibly wonderful he is and how lucky I am to have him in my life!

I had so much fun learning how to rescue people in cliff situation! It made me remember how much I missed climbing over the last few years! I am excited and more determined to get back out on the rocks some more to keep these skills sharp and hopefully soon I will have the knowledge and skills I need to apply to be a volunteer on the SLC search and rescue team!

No comments:

Post a Comment