Friday, February 13, 2009

Financial Aid is run by the Devil

So I have decided that the finacial aid department at Utah is run by the devil....or at least by someone who gets a kick out of whatching me run around with my head cut off trying to do everything he asks. This all starts out a few months ago when I fill out my paperwork to get aid for the spring semester. Easy process...not so much. I thought everything would be processed in time for tuition to be paid but I was mistaken.
A week before tuition was due I decied I will call up to the financial aid office to see what was going on. As it turns out because I got married during the school year I am applying for, for aid my file is on review...which means I have to turn in a copy of my marriage licence and mine and landons tax returnes....Not so hard, right...WRONG! Turns out I managed to loose our marriage licence in the process of changing my last name, and my wonderful dad who did all my taxes misplaced my tax papers. Trip to the Provo court houses FUN! I went to get a copy of my marriage licence but the computers were down which I did not find out until after I sat there for 30 min, I now get to come back another day. Now on to the IRS office, where I find out that getting a copy of a tax return costs $60 bucks and takes 6 weeks, I dont have that long. Come to find out you can submitt a transcript of you tax return with something called a summery of wage report. YAY a break. So after going back and getting my marriage licence I fax all of these papers to the financial aid department in hopes to resolve all these problems.
NOPE...So its been about a month for all this running around to go down, so I call the aid office to see what is happening only to find out I am going to have to fill out another stupid paper because aparently my taxes are off by TWO DOLLARS!!! Think im kidding, think again, two dollars is a serious thing!!! So I take this new paper to my dad in hopes he can help me find out what is wrong. Well my dad stands by his tax filling capablitities and he ends up finding my tax return that I needed in the first place. Turns out that by some stupid rounding issue with my income is how they came up with the two dollars difference.
So now I have faxed up my original tax return in hopes everything will finaly work out and I will be able to get money to pay for the rest of my tuition. You would think I was trying to borrow money to build a bomb or something. Never underestimate the complexity of financial aid office and the US government...the devil is in there somewhere.

2 comments:

  1. I agree...every year it is such a HUGE LONG process and they wont let T.C. do ANYTHING for me even though he's my husband! Gosh its all so complicated and annoying!! :) P.S. T.C. & I have a blog...www.tmthomastimes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle I am SO sorry! I HATE trying to figure things out with schools and government- it's like they make it hard on purpose hoping you will just give up, and give them more money!

    Michelle I miss you guys so much I am SO sorry we moved to Texas I have no married friends here! LAME

    Oh and I love that I was able to be there and know the story of the concussion!!!
    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete