Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Auto-Pilot...

So many of you know I go to the University of Utah, which means....LOADS of driving. I drive to and from Orem and Salt Lake three nights a week. Since I have driven this stretch of road the past few semesters, I have come to memorize all of it. I think I could drive it in my sleep now. About a month ago my radio died I'm my car so now I am left alone with my thoughts while I drive, annoying right. Well tonight on my way home from school my brain was off in wonderland and all of a sudden I wondered to myself when did I get in the fast lane?? I usually drive in the middle lane most the way and I didn't remember consciously getting into the fast lane! I realized I had been on autopilot for at least 20 min! After thinking hard about it I could vaguely recall signaling to get over to the fast lane to pass a slow car, and then just stayed there.
Now me being alone with my thoughts in my music-less car I started to wonder, How many other people do this, maybe not with driving but just in life?? How much time do we auto-pilot through in our daily life just doing each of our own repetitive day to day tasks?? One of the classes I am taking is called Death and Dying...(kinda morbid I know) but the class has gotten me thinking about really making the most of living! It scares me to think how much of my life is spent in auto-pilot. So now Im trying to come up with good ideas to take my life out of cruise control and give the mundane boring things in my life a little more meaning!
How many others out there catch themselves doing this? Or how do you spice up the routine day to day parts of your life?

2 comments:

  1. I don't have much opportunity to drive anymore since I'm a stay-at-home mom and we're a one car family, but before Nathan arrived I had a job that was 30 minutes away from home and I would catch myself doing that all the time. And you're so right. It's sad that we're on "auto-pilot" like that just letting life pass us by, but also, isn't it kinda scary to think that you zoned out a bit while driving? I used to think that I was still paying attention to the other cars and such, but could I have really been paying attention if I didn't remember going from one point to the next? And I bet you we're not the only ones who have experienced this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post made me remember something I found a while ago that fits your post. I've posted parts of it below:

    1. Take care of yourself. It may sound selfish, but nurturing yourself makes your life feel more meaningful. When you feel personally satisfied, you are in a better position to reach out and help others.

    2. Spend more time with friends and family. Surround yourself with friends who have a positive outlook on life. Allowing time to relax, laugh and enjoy the company of others is extremely important.

    3. Volunteer. The next step is to reach beyond yourself and those you are closest to. Donating your time may seem like a burden, but you will find that you form close relationships with the people you help and other volunteers. Helping others will give new purpose to your life.

    4. Get spiritual. Connecting with a higher purpose will add meaning to your life. Reconnect with your body and soul and discover your purpose in this world.

    5. Think positive. When you feel that your life has no purpose, remind yourself of those who care about you and your unique talents. Focus on your positive traits and try to ban negative thinking. Every person contributes something special to this world, and by recognizing your worth, you are well on your way to living a life of meaning.

    - Dorian Gray

    ReplyDelete