Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I Know Vampires are Cool and all....

As some of you might know I work as a phlebotomist, which in english means that I draw patients blood work all day. After working in said occupation for two years now one thing is starting to bug me. 
.
I have poked, stabbed, tortured (or whatever you want to call it) everyone including:
The four year old who kicked me
The twelve year old who was convinced I was going to take all of her blood and leave her to die
The nervous pre-missionaries who just need to turn in their papers
The marine, cop, high school jock alum (or any other "tough"you know) who are terrified at the sight of blood or needles
The much tougher wives/girlfriends/moms/sisters of the previous category
The grandpas who like to hit on me and the grandmas who all think I look just like their granddaughter
Oh and the occasional schizophrenic nut job!
.
One thing my wide variety of patients have in common is most refer to me as Vampire. Granted I do in one way or another suck some (not all) blood from your body, I don't necessarily want to, and most of the time I would rather not see anyone in my lab because then that means I have more time to do things such as my homework. So to my whole point of this, I know the whole Vampire thing is cool now-a-days with the Twilight craze but Im getting a little tired of it. Most who use this is trying to be funny and original, but I hate to break it to you, your not as I hear this a least twice a day. Didn't you parents ever teach you that its not nice to call people names :) So the next time you have the great misfortune to come visit someone like me do both of us a favor and leave the Vampier word at home, and I challenge you to come up with something a little more unique and maybe your phlebotomist will reward you by using the baby needle

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for giving me more ammo against you!!! I hate when people think they're so creative with things like calling you "vampire" when everyone and their dog thinks about the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are funny, Michelle! I used to work as a nurse and one time a little old lady got confused when I tried to flush her IV connection and hit me in the face and gave me a nosebleed. The next day she didn't even remember it. =) Don't worry--I'll only call you a vampire if you sparkle in the sunlight...

    ReplyDelete